Showing posts with label Maccabi. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Maccabi. Show all posts

Monday, August 19, 2019

Perfect Soul, Imperfect Baby: Protectzia

Part IV: Monday, August 12.
Protectzia

Instead of waking up at 6:00am and leaving the house within a half hour (sneaking out before the kids wake up) to head to Haifa, we play life as usual and pretend everything is normal. I put my eighteen month old on the back of my electric bike (teddy bear helmet, motzetz, and all) and take her to her Gan, her sucking on her pacifier the whole way, a smile on her face in the wind. Today, instead of accompanying me to my procedure that I should have been undergoing, my husband stays at home with two happy boys, waiting for a call from Maccabi, waiting for the peace of mind we've been seeking for days. 

For whatever reason, even though Ariel was the one on the phone with Maccabi all day, he didn't get the call that morning. Even though he was the one who spoke to nine different Maccabi representatives who each gave different information as to how long the process would take, when we'd receive the document, even how the process worked, he didn't get the call. Even though they promised to call him the moment it was approved and sent through, he didn't get the call.

He didn't get the call, but I did. I receive it by the time I'm on the train to work, late, at 9:00am, long after the "procedure" was scheduled at Rambam in Haifa. I immediately let my husband know he should call the hospital for an appointment the following day (Tuesday), thinking it was no big deal. He calls them, then calls me back. "Are you ready to be upset?," he asks. I hesitate, but nothing will surprise me at this point.

Apparently, they will no longer perform a D&E for me. No reason given. Perhaps it was because we were a "no-show" that morning, perhaps they didn't want to deal with Maccabi (I can't really blame them) - who knows. Either way, though they were more than willing to squeeze us in the last few days, it doesn't help us now.

Over the next several hours, we have no choice but to call different hospitals to see who, if any, will still perform a D&E at 14-15 weeks. My husband calls our amazing specialist (remember Dr. Drugan?) for a recommendation, then calls four different local hospitals. Some (Ichilov) don't bother answering, make him wait for forty-five minutes on hold before deigning to pick up the phone, and promise a call-back (which doesn't happen until after 5:00pm - and, by the by, they then inform us that they require their own, new, Committee hearing and finding). 

Another, Asaf HaRofe, accepts our situation, Committee finding, and Tofes (apparently they perform D&Es until twenty-something weeks), but they have a two-week waiting list. Ariel tries to call Assuta next, but can't find the right number to the proper department. My husband then calls Tel HaShomer, who was actually great. They answered the phone within seven minutes, listened to our situation kindly and carefully, and promised a call-back (and DID SO within an impressive thirty minutes - though luckily, by that time, we had already solved our issue).

While my husband is busy with the phone glued to his ear, I'm spewing my heart out about this emotional and tiring situation with my office-mate, now friend. She mentions, casually but quite seriously, that her father works at Assuta in Tel Aviv and asks if I want her to call him on my behalf... Yes. Absolutely, I say.

See, I'm no dummy. Elbows and patience aside, I know how this country works ("protectzia") and I never ever say no to these offers (if you're smart, you won't either). She calls him for me, he gives her a specific name and phone number at Assuta, and I pass the information on to my husband. He calls them back.

Within twenty minutes and just before high noon, I have a D&E scheduled at the beautiful (private) Assuta in Northern Tel Aviv for two days from now at 7:00am.


My heart stops. I am thrilled, but extremely cautious.

My husband is too. He confirms with Assuta that they will accept my Committee finding as well as the long-awaited Maccabi Tofes 17 that I've finally received for the other hospital. 

Not a problem, they said, practically waving their Israeli hand over the phone, they are partnered with Maccabi and, for them, I never needed a Tofes in the first place. All I need is my little plastic Maccabi ID card and paperwork. That's all. We never needed one for them and not one of the nine Maccabi representatives ever mentioned that option.

And that's all. Just like that, it's scheduled.

I thank my office-mate profusely. She shrugs it off, no biggie. It was just a phone call, she says (so Israeli).

I argue (so Israeli). Just a phone call for you, I insist (and note in my head that I will forever bring her strawberry flavored taffy).

But just a little paranoid, my husband calls Maccabi again to verify that the Tofes 17 will be accepted. Again, it is confirmed that it will be, but seriously, Assuta doesn't need it. We're good to go.

So... Wednesday, August 14th will be the big day. Deep breath.

The end of a beginning.

Friday, August 16, 2019

Perfect Soul, Imperfect Baby: The Absurdity


Part III: Sunday, August 11.
The Absurdity. 

Today is Tisha B'Av - a national mourning (and fasting) day for Jews. As usual, we took our 18mo old clever, gorgeous little girl to Gan for the day and left the boys with a babysitter and my husband's sister, who came out special to help us. 

We headed north and arrived in Haifa just before 10am so they could squeeze us into their schedule. I was 13w+5d and though we arrived on time, it didn't matter one whit since Maccabi hadn't yet sent us the mandatory Tofes 17.
I had been fasting since midnight in preparation for the surgery this morning but nothing doing. We found the proper floor, signed in and my husband and I sat in the waiting area while we waited for this document that, apparently, was never going to arrive. The nurses, with kindness in their eyes, were ready to take me back in an instant, knowing what I was going to undergo.
We (that is, my Israeli husband) called Maccabi every hour upon arrival and, right away they told us that, oh, we’ll mark it urgent for us (never mind that they had already said that on Thursday afternoon – remember that?) and it would arrive within the hour (but remember, we're already at the hospital waiting).
We wait and call in another hour, oh, they exclaimed, we'll mark it extra urgent and you'll get it in an hour! I put my head on the table. 
Still, nothing but disappointment. At this point, I'm still fasting, but now I'm lightheaded and it's noon. At one point, the nurses rush me back to squeeze me in but as we approach the back, they realize the document had not, in fact, come in, and apologized profusely as they brought me back to the waiting area. I got nothing but sympathetic faces.
It's now after noon and the hospital can no longer fit us into their schedule. I’m emotionally and physically empty but for my uterus.
After giving us an appointment for the very next morning (Monday) at 7:30am, Rambam Hospital sent us home, provided, of course, we got the Tofes 17 in time. My husband continued to call Maccabi every hour, including when they were closed to the public from 12-4p (cushy job), and they kept promising that we'd get it. In response, my husband kept telling them he didn’t believe a word they said. He kept calling and calling and told them, NO, we already missed our appointment this morning, we have a new appointment tomorrow at 7:30am, and we can't go if we don't have this document. Despite all their promises, despite all our pleading, their office closed with no Tofes.
So what do we do, my husband asks me. I shrug. I am emotionally spent. It's enough that I'm still growing a baby who won't live. It's enough that I (we) must make this choice at all. It's enough that I have to go through this “procedure.” Now we have to fight with my kupa about getting it done, in time, so I don't have to be induced and give birth.
But big surprise…. Maccabi hadn't come through and I have no energy whatsoever to go to Haifa again, much less at 6:30am without a Tofes or any guarantee that the hospital can do the procedure. Not to mention figuring out how to get the little one to Gan... so we cancel my husband's brother for the next day and say we'll wait. I guess we’ll just wait for the Tofes and I'll go to work.
I still don’t really feel like telling anyone or talking to very many people, but I finally tell my good friend in Netanya what's going on and, just like my other friends and family, she hurts for me. She asks what she can do. Nothing, I said. There’s nothing you can do. But she doesn't listen. Instead, she sets up a meal train for me starting on Tuesday. People will bring over food for my family and me so I don't have to worry so much about recovering and moving around. She surprises me with a bottle of wine and my favorite snack: salty pretzels and Duncan Hines cream cheese frosting. I actually smile, hug her tight, hurry inside to put my kids to bed, break the fast, and eat my beloved pretzels and frosting in the living room.
It's now evening on the day this was supposed to happen and it’s finally quiet in our apartment. My husband and I sit next to each other in quiet. He watches a show on Netflix. I watch a different show. I think, "I still have a baby."
We turn off our shows and study for my law exams that are scheduled for next week.
We go to sleep.
-->